Wednesday 14 October 2015

DOWN IN THE DUMPS? COME OUT AND PLAY!

Not generally a fan of graffiti, I was nonetheless drawn to a sign I spotted in Crescent Beach painted on a bright green trash bin. It reminded me of a poem I once wrote. The words say "come out and play" because being out in nature when down in the dumps grows appreciation and inspires a splash of playfulness even amid the rain puddles of life.
Since the bin stood alongside a fence, I was also reminded of the fictional character Tom Sawyer who convinced a boy that painting a fence was not tedious work but rather a delightful adventure. As someone who lives where showers fall throughout winter to early spring, I've realized that walks in the gloom of rain can be just as wonder-filled and enjoyable as in sunshine, especially when my sidekick umbrella and imagination come along.

Copyright by Penelope Puddlisms

Explore more at Musings of A Puddlist In B.C.

15 comments:

  1. It is true. A brisk walk in the fresh air always improves my mood. Thank you for sharing your poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very nice poem to go with the graffiti sign!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting sign, but I'm not sure I want something to come out of a dumpster to play.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most rainy days, I tend to stay indoors. On sunny days I would do what the sign says.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why do I think of a scary movie when I saw this?

    Frankly My Dear

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the graffiti message and the poem! And the green fence is perfect. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely a day brightener! Great shot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YOu know I would not have thought of the analogy of Getting out of the Dumps and playing from seeing that Dumpster by the fence. - Very clever thinking and so true.

    ReplyDelete
  9. it is a rather friendly message, i suppose. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. that bring back such great childhood memories. to "Come out & Play". ( :

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fun photos! And when there is no alternative I love walking in the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember this poem of yours, Maria, and I love it. My little grandson finds happiness in the softly falling rain, wearing new waterproof boots, hat, and coat. He recklessly plunges into a puddle, splash, and laughs.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the poem and the graffiti -- in that particular place and with that degree of wit -- definitely falls on the good side of graffiti! I'm not a huge fan of rainy days, but I will attempt to follow your example (and that of that other famous writer) and ignore reality. Assign we are ever lucky enough to actually get some rain here. We need it so badly, even I will not think of complaining when it comes this year!

    ReplyDelete

YOUR THOUGHTS add colour to the content and are always much appreciated.